We believe that breast health and annual screenings are an important part of a woman’s overall health. We offer 3D digital mammography along with the newest screening tool for dense breast tissue available known as ABUS-Automated Breast Ultrasound System. We also have the capability to perform additional diagnostic testing that may be needed, all of this under one roof. Our specialty trained, compassionate Breast Care Team wants to provide you with the services and knowledge to recognize and be supported when changes in your breast occur. We encourage all our patients to perform their own self breast exams monthly and recommend a yearly mammogram starting at age 40 and continuing for your lifetime. A clinical breast exam is done on a yearly basis with your annual exam. Our facility is certified by the American College of Radiology and DHEC.
Recommendations To Help You Be Your Best
- A yearly mammogram is recommended starting at age 40 and continuing for your lifetime.
- Self breast exams are recommended monthly, and a clinical breast exam is done on a yearly basis with your annual exam.
- A rectal exam to screen for blood in your stool is done with your annual exam starting at age 40.
- Cervical cancer screening (pap test) varies depending on the patient but in most instances, it is recommended by Dr. Besson on a yearly basis.
- Bone Density Screening is done at the time of menopause and every 2 to 3 years following that. There are certain instances that require screening before menopause occurs. Your medical history will be obtained to determine if you are a candidate for early testing.
- Ultrasound can be done to evaluate pelvic pain and early pregnancy. It is also a tool that can be used to investigate for endometrial or ovarian cancer.
- It is important for you to be knowledgeable about your family’s medical history. A Family History profile is obtained during your annual exam to determine your risk for hereditary breast, ovarian and certain other cancers. If you are found to be at increased risk for these cancers genetic testing will be offered to you.